So the PTA Reflections contest topic this year is what makes you go WOW! Too bad I am not a student anymore, so I can't enter the contest, but I sure know what I would say... how DUMB people can be sometimes makes me go WOW! I realize this is pretty insulting, but there really are some dumb people out there. Unfortunately, I feel like I have them surrounding me in my life right now. No worries - I'm not letting them rub off on me, so I will always be the same Allison you have all come to know and love! I wish I could go into more detail, but I am afraid that things could go incredibly sour and get bad for me, so you just have to trust that there really are dumb people in the world. And I'm not saying that people are not educated, although we all know that is the case sometimes. What I'm talking about are the people that really don't have common sense AT ALL, and really don't think about things before they speak/act. It really drives me crazy. Haha, talking about this makes me think about the fact that my college roommate and best friend, Brittany, and her mom, Phyliss, have always joked about all the stupid things they've witnessed/experienced and how they want to compile them into a book. I think it is a great idea and I have a few ideas myself that I would want to add anonymously.
Something else that makes me go WOW are my students. They never cease to amaze me. We have only been in school roughly six weeks, and they are already making so much progress. And no, they are still not where my class last year was, but I can't hold that against them - these are completely different kids! I have a small group of 4 girls that can already decode and read words, which is amazing. I honestly didn't think I'd have any readers until at least December, but these girls have kicked into high gear and are rocking and rolling. Another small group of students is well on their way to decoding - they just need to finish learning all the letters and sounds without confusion! So I might actually have a better class than I originally thought... WOW!
Sorry for the delay in posts... life has been a little crazy. I finally finished writing the flag work for my color guard last week and I finished teaching it today. I'm fairly certain I didn't teach it quite right, but as I told them, "Details, details." Haha, I can't worry about it, because we have our first competition this weekend! I am so nervous, but I'm trying not to think about it. Last Friday, we performed a big portion of our show for the first time and I thought I was going to be sick before they started. Thankfully, I missed the very beginning because I was setting up equipment, but I can only imagine how it's going to be this weekend when we have the entire show ready to perform. Yikes!
Last week was conference week, so I met with almost all of my students' parents. Talk about something that makes you go WOW! And that's not necessarily a bad wow... I was really surprised by how much some of these parents really care about their child's education. Of course, there are those bad wow's, in which I think, "Poor kid, no wonder they are the way they are... their parents don't care about them." It's so sad, but is another part of my job - I get to love on these kids and show them that I care for them! Hopefully, I do that most of the time - even when I'm not in the best of moods.
Hopefully, there won't be such a long period of time before I post again, but I can make no promises with the way life is going these days. However, I wouldn't trade this busy life for anything - except maybe the opportunity to go back in time to my college days, or even a present-day opportunity to visit Brittany, or just a day to rest and relax, or... So maybe I WOULD trade this busy life, but it's what I've got for now, so I'll take it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Why don't we just quit working and let "visiting each other" be our profession? Do you think someone would pay us?
Post a Comment