Monday, April 26, 2010
Crazy Life Cycle
So I've been counting down the days to summer, but I realized today that my countdown to summer leads to a countdown to the end of summer/start of school, which turns back around. Granted, there are some countdowns that are much anticipated and those that aren't, but they are existent nonetheless. And sadly, I don't know that I enjoy the end result as much as I think I'm going to when I'm counting down. However, I am going to promise myself that I am going to enjoy my summer this year. I have 19 more days of school until summer break, and I have a fairly empty calendar for June. Now, if you know me, you know it won't stay that way for very long. BUT, I am purposely not signing up for everything under the sun. I need some time for me. And I need some time for my friends. And I need some time for H. And I need some time for my family. Really, I just need time. And I am hopeful that June will provide that for me. You see, I LOVE to be busy. I was crazy-busy in high school, which quieted down a little in Auburn, and has now picked back up. However, last week I had a pretty quiet week that led up to a busy weekend. I have to say that I was more tired everyday last week than I was all weekend. Isn't that backwards?! Strange, but that's how I work. In fact, I do better on less sleep than I do on more sleep, and I do better with an even number of hours of sleep - so I do better with 6 hours of sleep than with 7 or 8. I know, it's weird, but it's true. So this summer, I will take some time to catch up on all of this lost sleep and give myself the opportunity to sleep longer than 6-8 hours. I will take time for myself, and my family, and my friends, and "my" H. Because I deserve AND they deserve it. What's funny is that I know that when June is over, July begins and the madness starts all over again. I already have a very full July calendar - in fact, I have a July 09-June 10 calendar, so I bought by July 10-June 11 calendar and now have to carry both around to make sure I'm not overbooking myself! So while the countdown to summer is going on, I also realize the unsaid countdown to July=craziness has also begun. And that kind of makes me sad. Yesterday at church, our pastor's message was about slowing down and taking time to enjoy life. So, I am trying to keep that mindset and follow through. I want to take a step back and look at the ways I am spending my time - are they investments that I really want to make? At the end of the road, will I really be happy and satisfied that I spent that much time on that particular thing? Am I glorifying God with this much time on this or am I strengthening my relationship with the Lord with this much time on that? I hope by evaluating these things, I will really come to understand that crazy life cycle that we create for ourselves. I am loving life, but am I really living it in a way that is bringing glory to God and sharing His love with others?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment