Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Joys of Homeownership

Most of you reading this already know about the great fiasco that happened to me this past week, but I want to blog about it so I can remember it! Let me just set this all up for you...

Thursday night I was hosting my Bible study group, so I had been doing things around the house all afternoon. I had washed two loads of laundry and run the dishwasher. In the meantime, I was cooking dinner. Well, as I discovered in college, I always mess up SOME part of dinner - usually, it is easily fixed. However, on Thursday, I was cooking rice to go with my champagne chicken and green beans. I got it all ready and it was simmering... I had set the timer to make sure I watched it, and when there was still TEN MINUTES left, I started smelling something burning. Well, needless to say, every single grain of rice was burnt to a crisp - they were all popping up in the pan and clinking against the top. I blame all of that on my gas stove - we all know how I feel about it to begin with (if you don't, read past posts), so that's what I'm blaming. So, I call my mom in a slight panic, and she graciously brings me another box of rice. While I was trying to give her back her Tupperware containers, she decides that she needs to use the bathroom before she leaves. The next thing I know, my mom is yelling, "Allison! Allison! Allison!" in a panic-stricken voice. I run to discover that the toilet she used is OVERFLOWING!!!! Ugh. I grab all the old towels (that also belong to her) and throw them at her so she can start cleaning that up, and I run back to the kitchen to take care of dinner. After a few minutes, I realize that this same thing happened to someone else I know and the water had also backed up into her tub. So, I look in my tub, and sure enough - there is a LOT of NASTY, old backed-up pipe water in the tub. I run to look in my shower, and yes, the same thing had happened in there...G-R-O-S-S!!!!! So I'm kinda freaking out since 5 other people are supposed to be walking in my front door in ten minutes for dinner!! We get the bathroom all cleaned up, I manage not to mess up the rest of dinner, and I even manage to give a tour of my house to everyone since they hadn't seen it with furniture. My mom called a friend of hers who is a plumber and he promises that someone will be there within the hour. My Bible study group enjoys dinner (and dessert, thanks to Sarah!) and we begin Bible study... and my plumber showed up. I have never been so glad to see a complete stranger standing at my door. We continued to have Bible study while Pete worked on cleaning out the pipes and flushing the system. So, I now have root-free pipes and a clean water system from my house - thanks to Plumber Pete and $550!!!!! Oh, this new house... and all the fun adventures that come with it... what a joy! ;)

1 comment:

Brittany said...

You should have just served poprice...like popcorn, instead of making more rice. You could have told people that it was a new recipe from Paula Deen or something and if they didn't like it, then it wasn't your fault. Good job making a great dinner despite all your setbacks! At least you didn't have 9 mice running around your house at the same time! And this champagne chicken sounds good...I want the recipe.