Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fun Times

Hello friends! I realize that it has been a while, and lots has happened. At the same time, my life has slowed down somewhat.

First of all, I feel like I am finally making progress with my students! I am up to 20 in my class, and at times, it is mass chaos. But those times are getting fewer and the pure learning times are getting greater. Our schedule is completely changing tomorrow, so I may be singing a different tune in 24 hours, but only time will tell. I am praying that the schedule changes won't affect the kids too much. We just finished our parent/teacher conferences, so I am hoping my discussions with parents and recruiting efforts for their help will not be in vain. Looking back over the last 37 school days, I realized that my kids really have come far. I have one student who came in speaking absolutely no english and had no clue how to hold a pencil. He is now asking for help in his own sweet little way, and writing his name independently! Another student came in tracing the letters in the air when asked the name of the letter, and she can now name more than half of them!! And still another, would not sit still in his chair, on the rug, or anywhere else and was constantly talking or screaming. He will now sit anywhere you ask him too and only needs a few reminders to zip his lips and wait his turn. So, while it may be small and slow progress, it is progress nonetheless!! I am just praying that more time will be good for these precious 5 years old who bless my life.

The high school marching band show is now complete and is still working on coming together. My girls have a tough job at being visually appealing even though they are small in number. While they tend to frustrate me to no end, I really am proud of them. We were barely making it with drop spins and hard hits at band camp, but they are now executing their work to an honorable extent. We still have some work to do, but I am comfortable with where we are at this point. We have our exhibition show a week from tomorrow which is right before what will now be our first competition. So our rehearsals this week will be spent cleaning and making sure everyone is comfortable. I need them to perform and I know they will be rewarded for their efforts!

Most of you know about the great flood of Georgia... no worries, I survived! AND I even enjoyed a wonderful day off. While it was unfortunate for those in other areas of my county, I thankfully had no big damage. I knew I needed a new roof and was hoping to wait a little bit longer, but the day the rain stopped, I started getting wet stains on my ceiling. My dad, being the wonderful man he is, went up in my attic to find the leaking spot, but to no avail. So, I will just have to suck it up and get a new roof sooner than later! The damage to the ceiling is not too bad - it's won't require repair, just a new coat of paint. To be honest, I'm done with painting for a while, so I will just have to have some apots on the ceiling until I'm ready to paint a ceiling!

In August, I asked you to pray for me and a big decision I had to make. Well, it has been made... I now have a roommate, but it is not your typical roommate situation. H moved in a week ago, and things have been great. She is a wonderful girl and I know she has a wonderful future ahead of her. H is a high school student at Sprayberry that I have gotten to know through Nicole and my work with Sprayberry, as well as through ALLIANCE. I have had fun getting to know her more this week and spending more time with her. She is very outgoing and beautiful. I told her on our way to school/work the other morning that I am already attached - she's stuck with me now! Please continue to pray for me and for H. And thanks to everyone for your prayers, encouragement, and support!!

Ok, I'm out like a fat kid loves cake to hit the sack - this weekend in which I have done nothing has been exhausting! :) Have a wonderful week!

No comments: